As part of our new collaboration with Islamic Relief, Pakistan, we are looking for a research organisation based in Pakistan to undertake a participatory qualitative study of water, sanitation and hygiene services during and after the monsoon floods in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (DI Khan and Nowshera districts) and Sindh (Malir, Thatta and Mirpur Khas and Dadu).
Research studies show that marginalized groups are especially at risk of climate hazards, since both sudden and gradual crisis events tend to reinforce already existing vulnerabilities, exposure and inequalities.
This mega-flood has displaced many tens of thousands of people, who are exposed to multiple issues due to displacement, poor diets, and poor access to safe water and have severely compromised access to clean drinking water and sanitation.
The research will address the following questions:
- How have the 2022 and previous flood events affected access and use of safe sanitation and hygiene facilities in selected districts in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh?
- What are the ongoing coping mechanisms at village level and district level to address ongoing challenges?
- How can local government and WASH programming be strengthened to address these ongoing challenges and build resilient approaches towards future climate shocks?
This call is open to academic institutions based in Pakistan that are recognised by Higher Education Commission. Academic institutes may subcontract other academic institutes and apply as a consortium. Consultants may apply only in collaboration with recognised academic institutes.
The proposal should include:
- a financial proposal and timeline
- a narrative proposal outlining how the questions will be addressed and methods that will be used
- CV(s) of the research team (the team will ideally have a gender balance)
- at least one example of previous similar work
- for consultants applying – details of a research partnership with at least one recognised academic institution.
Deadline and further details
Proposals must be submitted by email and paper copy before 5pm on February 6th 2023. For the addresses and more details, please read the full Terms of Reference.
If you have any questions, please email Islamic Relief, Pakistan on [email protected] and [email protected]Download the Terms of Reference