The programming guidance is useful for the design of large-scale, area-wide rural sanitation programmes.
The guidance is particularly useful for programmes that aim to progress towards the Sustainable Development Goal sanitation target through:
- Elimination of open defecation (OD);
- Universal access to safely managed sanitation and hygiene;
- Progressive reduction of inequalities among population sub-groups;
- Reduced sanitation and hygiene burdens for women and girls.
The guidance includes a series of documents:
- Summary report: Guidance on programming for rural sanitation
- Briefing note: Guidance on programming for rural sanitation
- Full report: Guidance on costing of rural sanitation approaches
- Briefing note: Guidance on costing of rural sanitation approaches
- Excel spreadsheet: Rural sanitation costing framework
- Discussion brief: Rethinking rural sanitation approaches
- Background report: Review of rural sanitation approaches
The briefing note on rural sanitation programming is also available in French, Spanish and Portuguese.